Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School

I am running a gamut of emotions today. I took Aidan to the bus stop early this morning at 6:30 so he would know where it is and up until this point have been excited to have him start middle school in the 7th grade. That is until I said, "Bye, have fun" and watched him walk away from the car with and unsure look on his face, which then started to make me feel unsure. He is my first born. I want him to stop growing up. If I could only turn back time to before Kindergarten to have him cuddle with me and rub my elbows.
I went back home feeling uneasy with an empty pit in my stomach but I knew I had 3 more kids to get up soon and get ready for their first day back to school. I took a shower and got myself ready which helped me feel better. It was a relatively easy going morning. Lunches were made, backpacks were ready and the kids got up when I asked them to since they actually went to sleep EARLY last night.
Ty was home and when it was time to go to school to find new classes and meet new teachers he came with us. Connor's teacher is a friend of mine and I like her very much (he also had her in 2nd grade). He is looking forward to seeing which of his friends are in his class. Finn and Brogan will not be in the same class this year. Brogan is liking that, but Finn is not. Though they have different teachers they are actually in the same classroom that has been split with a divider. Finn was so excited to see her friends this morning and is ready to learn. Brogan had been excited to start a new school year but when it was time to leave them, he had the same look as Aidan had this morning. Unsure. This started to make me feel bad again but tried to convince him he would have fun and he already knew some of the kids in his class.
Ty and I said goodbye and walked away from the school hand in hand feeling sad and hoping for more children to go through this with again someday.

5 comments:

CC said...

i wish aidan would rub my elbows too.
can't wait to hear how everyone's first day was!

Becky said...

Unlike all of you, I never liked Aidan rubbing my elbows! It made me feel crazy pretty fast. haha

Oh the little heartstrings that get pulled in a mothers heart when the children have misgivings and apprehensions. I am guessing they will all come home with big smiles on their faces wanting to tell you all about their days and squelch all the worries you had for them.

I LOVE that you and Ty shared a special parent emotional time! That was the best!

Love to you,
Mom

Whit and Jake said...

Mom you are crazy, I always loved when Aidan rubbed my elbows. I can't believe he is in middle school already. I miss being able to see them often and watch them grow up. That just means that you guys will have to come visit me at the beach when it is snowing in Reno.

Ross, Toby and Holden said...

I not sure if it is because I am pregnant, am a mom now myself, or love those kids and worry about them, but when I started reading this entry I teared up right away. THANKS. I am glad I read this because I wanted to call you when school started. Now I can!

WillandTara said...

Last year I kept saying 2 more years till she goes...this year I said...only one year left to keep her...keep her home and safe where everything is comfortable. I definitely am sad to see them go. Eighteen years seemed so long 4 years ago...now it seems too short.

Love you Hilary,

Tara